Monday, August 15, 2011

In The Rain Again (Also, why I mind read while I run)

6 Miles and change - 1:01:52

"When it gets really nasty out here, that's when you know who the real runners are."
- A random runner named Steve

Why am I quoting a random runner named Steve? Is it because he's a good runner who helps on long runs? Is it because he reads my blog and I want to give him a shout-out? Is it because he's a lawyer who may or may not help me get a job?

No. It's because it's a good quote.

You see, running through the mess and muck, Central Park is a lot emptier than normal.  But among the runners out there everyone knows, you're either crazy or a real runner. I'm finally ready to define myself as the latter...and the former but that one we already knew. I can run 6 miles and not be tired at the end. I can run up a nasty hill without calling it mean names (even though they usually deserve it). I can run double-digit mile lengths with consistency. I'm getting better. It's a nice thing.

I also tend to pass the time better. This is valuable because it makes time go by faster somehow. One of my favorite techniques is to mind read everyone I pass. Without further ado, I'll go through some of the people I passed on my run today and what they were thinking.

Police Officer: "Why is here in this weather? Is he really gonna run? Crazy kids...mmm donut"'

Lady Who Passes Me: "You're new to this aren't you? Don't worry, it's not like I'm 30 years older than you and breezing right by you - oh wait yes I am."

Guy Who I Pass: "Why does he have his tongue out? Is he trying to drink the rain? There's a water fountain right there!"

Hawk In The Bushes: "Stop staring at me"

Nate Robinson: "He's staring. He must recognize me. But he's wondering why I would be in New York. Oh why not - I'll nod, smile and wink so he knows he's right."

Group of Three Fast Bikers: "GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!" (Actually, this one wasn't that hard to tell. They kinda yelled it too...)

See, it can be fun....

No comments:

Post a Comment