Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Racing the Sunlight (Also, Why You Should Always Pay Attention When You're Running))

6.8 Miles - ???
4.0 Miles - 37:00

On Sunday I found myself in downtown NYC at 7:20, about 150 blocks from my home in upper Manhattan. I, being the brilliant nut that I am, had the ingenious idea of racing the sunlight home and making it my long run for the week. I wanted a challenge and watching the sun set as you run, knowing that you might find yourself stuck in the dark is a good, if not somewhat insane, motivation. I didn't know if I could do it. Having no time to warm up I was struggling as I made my way uptown and I didn't know if I could make it. But lo and behold, at 8:30, just before the sun went down I found myself somewhere very familiar.

Yankee Stadium....In the Bronx.

Oops.

Okay, so I may not be really good with directions. I didn't beat the sunlight, but hey, I did run from lower Manhattan to Yankee Stadium in an hour and a quarter without meaning to. So I'm going to call that a challenge conquered and save racing the sunlight for another day. After all, this training is all about beating a set of challenges all wrapped up in one huge challenge that I'm setting for myself.

1 comment: