Monday, August 29, 2011

Running In The 'Cane (Also why state switching is a good long run)

4.0 Miles -???
13.2 Miles - 1:57:21

Okay, technically it was a tropical storm I know. But it was a good title. I was thinking of "Running In The 'Rene" but that may have been to much of a stretch. The rain may not have shown up on Sunday here but the wind sure did. It was like running through an intangible wall of molasses at times. Add that to having to jump over and around scattered trees and greenery and I'm pretty glad that I didn't time the run. Thankfully, the storm was not as bad here as the media hyped it to be (shocker!) and the streets are already clear and dry. It wasn't going to disrupt my run anyway but with the wind what it was, I am happy I postponed my long run to Monday.

For that long run I decided to just go back and forth on the George Washington Bridge. I did four circuits between New York and New Jersey. I haven't done that much state switching since I traveled to the state line between Missouri and Kansas while visiting Kansas City so that I could add Kansas to my state list (because yes, I am that much of a dork sometimes). Pics below:

But the fact that I tagged up and turned around each 1.2 miles gave me visible goals and the flat ground provided an easy course, one similar to the one I'll face at the half-marathon in Jersey City http://www.newporthalfmarathon.com/ (Come out and say hi!). There's also a nice breeze coming off the water. Of course the wind was at my back when I was leaving NJ for NY. Even the wind wants to get out of that state...

School starts tomorrow. Back to hittin' the streets of the Village. We're getting into the home stretch!

No comments:

Post a Comment